Recipe by dicentra
This is from 1000 Great Recipes. Posting for ZWT3. “This soup is also called ‘London Particular,’ because of the city’s smog. The fogs in turn were named ‘pea-soupers.’”
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 ounces smoked back bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup split peas
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 2 slices firm bread, buttered and crusts removed
- 2 slices streaky bacon
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the butter in a saucepan and cook the back bacon until the fat runs.
- Stir in the onion, carrot and celery and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the split peas and then the stock. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, then cover with a tight fitting lid and simmer for 45-60 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 350*. Bake the bread for about 20 minutes, until crisp and brown, and then cut into a dice.
- Grill the streaky bacon until very crisp, then chop finely.
- When the soup is ready, season to taste and serve hot with the chopped bacon and croutons.