Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 2 cups flour
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- red jelly or jam
- Sift together flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Cut in butter, unbeaten egg and vanilla.
- Form into dough. Place on lightly floured board.
- Divide into 4 equal parts. Shape into rolls 13" long x 3/4" thick. Place on ungreased cookie sheet 4" apart and 3" from edge.
- Make a depression with handle of knife about 1/3" deep lengthwise and down the center of each.
- Fill with red jelly or jam.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes.
- While warm, slice diagonally.
These were great! Followed the directions exactly, and it took the whole 20 minutes.
I make these all the time, except I call them Split Seconds. They are a delicious cookie with a lovely texture and flavour. They are also very quick to do and impressive to look at once done.