Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I made this without the hot sausage and bouillon cubes (just used ham in it's place), and it was absolutely phenomenal. Creamy and flavorful, I'd make this again. Recipe courtesy of Southern Sideboards Southern Living Hall of Fame and Junior League of Jackson, Mississippi and Mrs. Norman Stevens, Mt Olive, Mississippi. Serving size is estimated.
- 16 ounces dried split green peas
- 1 ham hock
- 3 -4 carrots, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 3 -4 beef bouillon cubes
- 3 -4 hot Italian sausage links, sliced
- Wash peas and soak in water to cover overnight.
- Add more water if needed to cover peas and bring to a boil.
- Add other ingredients and simmer 3 hours or more.
- May be prepared 1 day in advance and reheated.