Recipe by lauralie41
This recipe was posted by grinkc at recipegoldmine.com, "Although not a true spumoni ice cream this dessert is so easy, delicious and pretty. Freeze solid for an ice cream texture or partially frozen for a mousse like texture. I like to make this for my family on a festive occasions." This recipe will be included in the Zaar World Tour 2005 Swap.
Top Review by Engrossed
I love spumoni and was intrigued by this recipe so bought the ingredients to make it. I guess this one isn't to my tastes. I made it by whipping the cream and condensed milk with the rum extract and putting that in my ice cream machine. When it was almost done I added the cherry pie filling and mini chocolate chips. I omitted the nuts but would have used pistachio if I had them. I didn't like it soft but it was better when frozen harder with chocolate syrup. What I didn't like about it was that you couldn't taste the rum extract and could taste the condensed milk.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2⁄3 cup condensed milk (not evaporated)
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1⁄2 cup mini chocolate chip
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, of choice finely chopped and toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, combine milk and cream and place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator when chilled and whip mixture together with an electric mixture until soft peaks form. Fold in the cherry pie filling, extract, chips and nuts.
- Spoon mixture into an 8 or 9 inch square pan cover and freeze until firm. When firm slice and serve as is or with your favorite ice cream topping.