Recipe by jamb
These little devils are so good without all the guilt of sugar. I make all different flavors and mix food coloring in for a fun and easy change.
Top Review by Old Gray Grammy
Sorry to disagree with all but one reviewer here, but I must suggest that this recipe, especially the recipe's Ingredients List, is incorrect. Splenda's own recipe for meringues calls for 4 eggs, not 2, and only 1/4 t. of Cream of Tartar, not 1/2 t. It also calls for 1 t. vanilla extract, but no salt at all. The baking time and temperature are also different. I have made the recipe printed here, and agree with another reviewer that the texture is incorrect for meringue, and the nasty aftertaste comes from way too much Cream of Tartar.
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Spray cookie sheet; set aside.
- Combine egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt in a very clean bowl.
- Beat until foamy.
- Add splenda a little at a time until egg whites are stiff and glossy.
- Fold in vanilla.
- Spoon meringue on cookie sheet.
- Bake 18-20 minutes.
- Variations: Fold in 1-2 tbsp of cocoa with vanilla.
- Add different extracts instead/along with vanilla.
- Add food coloring with extracts (i.e swirl red coloring with peppermint extract.)