1/4 Photos of Splendid Lettuce Salad With Thousand Island Dressing
Halcyon Eve's Note:
"'Oh, Anne, mayn't I help you cook the dinner?' implored Diana. 'You know I can make splendid lettuce salad.'" (from Anne of Avonlea, by L.M. Montgomery) The recipe is from the Anne of Green Gables Cookbook. I usually substitute a yellow or other colored bell pepper for the green.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Thousand Island Dressing
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
Splendid Lettuce Salad
- 1To make dressing, mash the hard-boiled egg with a fork in a small bowl. Measure and add the rest of the ingredients and stir.
- 2To prepare salad, fill a basin with very cold water. Separate the leaves of the iceberg and romaine lettuce and swish them around in the water. Tear the stems off the spinach leaves and discard them. Put the leaves into the cold water with the lettuce.
- 3Cut the celery, green pepper, cucumbers, and tomatoes into bite-sized pieces and set aside in large bowl. Slice the mushrooms thinly and add them to the rest of the vegetables.
- 4Dry the lettuce with paper towels, tear them into bite-sized pieces, and add them to the other vegetables. Toss the salad.
- 5Dry the spinach leaves with paper towels. Line the salad bowl with the spinach leaves so that they peek out around the edge.
- 6Mound the tossed salad in the middle. Serve in individual bowls with a dollop of Thousand Island dressing.
Browse Our Top Lettuces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lettuces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Splendid Lettuce Salad With Thousand Island Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (274 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 206.7
- Calories from Fat 110
- Total Fat 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 56.4 mg
- Sodium 417.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 5.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: