Recipe by bobbeck
At my house, we needed to take the sugar out of our diet. I wanted to find a suitable sweet pickle relish that would suit my pre-diabetic hubby. Well, I think I found it! The first time I made it, I ate some, while it was still warm, on some crackers. I suppose that green bell peppers would work, but I used a combination of yellow, orange and red peppers for the eye appeal. Yummy!
- 4 cups cucumbers, chopped
- 3 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cups bell peppers (any combination of green, yellow, orange and or or red, chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup kosher salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups Splenda sugar substitute (granulated)
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pickling spices
Directions See How It's Made
- Finely dice unpeeled cucumbers, pared peppers and pared onions and place all in large bowl.
- Sprinkle the salt over the vegetables.
- Cover with cold water and let stand for 2 hours.
- Drain vegetables well.
- In a large pot, combine Splenda, vinegar and pickling spices.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add vegetables to the pot, and adding, if necessary, just enough water to cover vegetables.
- Bring back to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Put relish into jars using a slotted spoon adding as much or as little of the brine as you like remembering that you need to leave 1/4" to 1/2" head space.
- Process in a hot water bath.