1 hr 10 mins
I found this recipe on Splenda's website and made a few alterations so that it is now super-easy to make. Now, I'm the kinda person that assumes that anything low-fat will be gross. However, this wasn't just good for a low calorie pie- it was the most excellent pie I have ever made! Seriously no one would ever guess it had Splenda in it- and with my alterations it's now easy as... pie?
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Allow all your frozen berries to dethaw in a sieve placed over a bowl. As they thaw, juice should drain into the bowl- save it! You need it for the a later step. (Thawing not included in prep time).
- 2Preheat you oven to 375 degrees.
- 3Pie crusts always have 2 in a package. Unroll one and place it flat in the freezer, unroll the other and set it in your 9 inch pie plate.
- 4In a tiny bowl beat together the egg yolk and water with a fork. This is called egg wash, and will make your crusts pretty and will work as "pie crust glue." Brush the egg wash around the rim of the pie crust in the pie plate.
- 5In another small bowl, add your cornstarch, then slowly pour one cup of the drained berry juice to the cornstarch while whisking briskly. It should not be lumpy by the time you're done.
- 6In a medium saucepan, add Splenda, then slowly add cornstarch, whisking the whole time. Stir constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Boil one minute.
- 7Stir in butter and fruit from sieve.Cool slightly and pour mixture into your pie shell.
- 8Take your remaining pie crust out of the freezer. (It should now be firm enough to work with- but work quickly!) Cut into 1 1/2 inch wide strips. Arrange strips in a lattice design over the filling. Trim strips even with lower pie crust, fold edges over and crimp to seal.
- 9Brush all visible pie crust with your egg wash that you made earlier.
- 10Bake for 40-45 minutes or until browned. You may want to cover the edges of your pie with foil so they don't burn.
- 11Allow to cool on a wire rack.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Splenda-Berry Pie
Serving Size: 1 (178 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 393.2
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 31.2 mg
- Sodium 346.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 14.4 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: