Recipe by sunnelf2000
My mom created this recipe. My sisters and I loved it cause besides tasting real good we were allowed to eat them with our fingers.
- 1 lb chopped beef
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup parsley flakes
- 1⁄4 cup grated locatelli cheese or 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 4 slices white bread
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- oil (for frying)
- 12 wooden skewers
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak wooden skewers in water for 1 hour.
- Lightly toast 3 slices of bread and cut each slice into 9 pieces.
- Soak 1 slice of bread in milk and squeeze out reserving excess milk.
- Slice mozzarella and cut into 18 pieces.
- In bowl combine chop meat, squeezed slice of white bread, 1 egg, grated cheese, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Mix well with your hands.
- Separate beef mixture into 18 pieces and roll each piece round like a little meatball.
- Hold 2 skewers together with a little space inbetween and place one piece of bread on skewers, followed by a meatball followed by a piece of mozzarella, then another piece of bread, meatball and mozzarella, then another bread, meatball, mozzarella and end with bread.
- Beat egg and excess milk together.
- Roll filled skewers in egg mixture and then in breadcrumbs making sure to coat the whole thing.
- Heat oil in large frying pan.
- If wooden skewers are too long, cut off excess leaving about 3/4" on each end.
- Fry in oil turning often as mozzarella melts and you want to coat the spittini with the mozzarella and not lose it.
- Serve warm or cold - great the next day.