Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Turkey done this way is delicious, especially the skin, we did regular stuffing in the oven. Have not tried the grill method. originally from "Canadian Living bbq book"
- To spit-roast the turkey, grease the bird inside and out, and truss (tie) it into a tight shape that balances easily on the spit.
- It's better to put two small turkeys on a spit rather than one that's too large.
- The cavity can be filled with onion, lemon or orange slices, sprigs of fresh herbs or sprinklings of dried herbs (regular stuffings don't cook properly with this method.) Besure to have a drip pan under the bird and use the drippings to baste it.
- As a guideline, a 3 to 4 lb (1. 5 to 2 kg) bird will take about 1 1/2 hours to spit roast.
- a 6 to 8 lb (3 to 4 kg) bird will take 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- For a covered barbecue (gas or charcoal), cook the bird stuffed or unstuffed.
- Place the bird on the grill over a drip pan nestled between two beds of hot coals.
- Roast until meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the inner thigh registers 185 degrees F (85 degrees C).