Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Grandpa McCarthy. Looks complete.
- 2 quarts water, and or chicken broth
- 2 cups dried split peas
- 1 ham bone
- 3⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon marjoram
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup potato, diced
- Clean peas in water, removing bad ones.
- In a large sauce pan, combine peas, broth, ham bone, water and spices and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove from heat and extract ham bone.
- When cooled enough to handle, remove meat from bone and cut into small pieces.
- Add meat and potatoes to mixture and simmer for additional half an hour more.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.