Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Great for holiday gifts-if you can save them!
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 8 1⁄2 cups peeled, cored and halved pears
- 7 teaspoons rum or 7 teaspoons brandy
- 10 1⁄2 teaspoons Kahlua or 10 1⁄2 teaspoons cognac or 10 1⁄2 teaspoons creme de menthe
- Combine sugar and water in a large stainless or enamel pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add fruit and return to a boil, boil for 5 minutes.
- Pack hot fruit in hot jars.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the rum or brandy and 1 1/2 tsp of kahlua, cognac or creme de menthe to each jar.
- Add the hot syrup leaving 1/4 inch head space.
- Seal and process 20 minutes at altitudes up to 1000 feet.
Tried this with cherries and it was delicious!!
i would add more rum and creme de menthe next time as the pears seemed to really absorb it. this really is easy to do and they come out great! i also tried this recipe using strawberries and peaches. they came out just as good as the pears. i added more rum to the peaches and i didn't use creme de menthe for either one, i sued brandy with the rum for both instead.