Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A traditional chinese pastry.
- 740 g mashed yams
- 130 g sugar
- 140 g oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 teaspoons red food coloring
- 230 g all-purpose flour
- 28 g powdered sugar
- 70 g corn oil
- 70 g water
- 175 g cake flour
- 80 g shortening
- 1 -2 teaspoon red food coloring
- Place mashed yam in a pan/wok.
- Add salt, sugar (Note 2) and oil gradually into yam paste, a small portion at a time.
- Keep stirring at all times.
- Cook until the paste leaves the sides of the wok clean when stirred.
- Set aside to cool.
- Measure 640g of yam paste for mooncakes with no yolks, OR 480g for mooncakes with yolks.
- Add melon seeds (if using) and mix well.
- Divide into 8 equal portions (Pic. 1) and roll each into a ball.
- Wrap an egg yolk into each ball (if using yolks).
- To prepare water dough: Sift flour and icing sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the middle and gradually pour in the corn oil and water.
- Mix well and lightly knead for about 1 minute until a non-sticky dough is formed.
- Leave the dough aside and go on to prepare oil dough.
- To prepare oil dough: Sift flour into another mixing bowl.
- Mix shortening with flour well.
- Do not knead this dough (Note 3).
- Divide water and oil dough into 4 portions (Pic. 1).
- Each water dough should weigh 100g while each oil dough should weigh 67g (Note 4).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out a water dough.
- Wrap an oil dough with this water dough (Pic. 2) to form a ball (Pic. 3).
- Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough in Step 6 as shown in Pic.
- 4 (Note 5).
- Roll as swiss-roll (Pic. 5).
- Give the dough a quarter turn and roll out the dough length wise again.
- Roll as swiss-roll (Pic. 6-7).
- Divide it into 2 equal portions (Pic. 8).
- Repeat the same procedure for the remaining water and oil doughs.
- These pastry skins are ready to be used.
- Lightly flour (using cake flour) the working surface.
- With the cut side face down, roll out the dough such that the edges are thinner than the centre (Pic. 9).
- Wrap yam paste ball and seal the edges (Pic. 10, Note 6).
- Repeat to shape remaining mooncakes.
- Place mooncakes on a baking tray lined with grease-proof baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degC for 25-30 minutes or until cooked (Pic 11).
- Transfer mooncakes to a wire rack and let cool.