Recipe by Crafty Lady 13
Stuffed with salami, ham, roasted red peppers and cheeses, this stromboli takes advantage of refrigerated French loaf dough so it's easy to assemble for a meal, appetizer or late night snack. I have prepared this with other variations--using diced green peppers or onions, pepperoni, etc. I like to make this using whatever I have on hand or whatever I have a craving for. Another favorite from Taste of Home's Busy Family Cookbook.
Top Review by Pokey in San Antonio, TX
All I can say is, WOW! This was such a huge hit at this years Christmas party. Caution. If you are an idiot like me, don't think you can slap the dough down on the table and start pressing it out into a rectangle--no way. I worked the you know what out of that dough, if just kept snapping back. I went through two cans of dough before I noticed there were perforations that would allow you to roll the dough out. Once I got past that, it was very easy. I roasted the red bell peppers on the grill and sliced them into strips rather than dice them. I use deli sliced pepperoni (large like a salami), salami, and pepper ham. I partially cooked the pepperoni and salami in the microwave for 1 min to get rid of some of the grease so the finished Stromboli wouldn't be too soggy. That worked out great. Not only was the Stromboli not soggy with grease, the pre-cooking of the meat really brought our their flavors. I will definitely be making this again.
- 1 (11 ounce) Pillsbury refrigerated crusty french loaf
- 3⁄4-1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3⁄4-1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 lb thinly sliced deli salami
- 1⁄4 lb thinly sliced deli ham
- 1⁄4 cup roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 -3 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
- Unroll the dough and pat into a 14" x 12" rectangle. Sprinkle with mozzarella and cheddar cheese to within 1/2" of edges; top with meat and red peppers. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; seal seam and tuck ends under.
- Place seam side down on a ungreased baking sheet. Brush with butter; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Slice wih a serrated knife.