1 hr 20 mins
This concoction was created one day due to a packet of cream of spinach lurking in the cupboard that was purchased by accident! (It happens!! LOL) I had already planned on making a meatloaf, and found "the packet" in the back while getting out the breadcrumbs. After debating on whether or not to just finally pitch it, I decided to try and use it, then one idea led to another...and the rest is history as they say! It REALLY came out good!!! Very moist and flavorful! Very happy to share this "bought by accident" recipe! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs lean hamburger
- 1 (1 7/8 ounce) packet cream of spinach soup mix, SEE NOTE
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/8 cup finely grated parmesan cheese, green can kind
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (7 ounce) package sliced swiss cheese, 9 slices
- 6 slices prosciutto, can sub thin slices of ham if desired
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1In large bowl, combine first 9 ingredients til well mixed.
- 2Dump out onto large sheet of foil.
- 3Press into a 13x19 rectangle.
- 4Top, within a 1/4-1/2 inch from edges, 6 slices of the swiss cheese. (Overlapping the cheese if needed.).
- 5Top the swiss cheese layer with the slices of prosciutto. (Overlapping if needed.).
- 6Starting from short end, roll up the meat. (Lifting the foil at first helps to get it started.).
- 7Roll all the way up and seal, pinching and smoothing the seam closed nicely.
- 8Seal each end closed nicely, too, so that you have a nice log.
- 9Place carefully into a shallow, sprayed, baking dish/pan. (Mine fit really well in my 7x11 baking dish.).
- 10Reform a bit if needed. (*Just make sure it didn't stretch out, and press with palms at each end pushing back in towards the middle.).
- 11Sprinkle top/outside with additional pepper. As much or little as you like.
- 12Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- 13Baste the whole outside with the 1 Tbl. ketchup.
- 14Bake 5 minutes longer.
- 15While it's still baking, cut the remaining 3 slices of swiss cheese in half corner to corner.
- 16When those 5 minutes are up, top the meatloaf with the cheese triangles, overlapping, all across the top nicely.
- 17Bake 10 minutes longer.
- 18(Your total baking time is 1 hour.).
- 19Remove from oven and let rest at least 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- 20Enjoy! (Made GREAT sandwiches the next day, too!).
- 21**Had a TON of trouble getting an ingredient to finally go through! It is to be 1 (1.8 oz.) packet Knorr Cream of Spinach Recipe Mix that I used. NOT "soup mix". Zaar glitch I guess. But you'll see on the packet. ;).
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiral Spinach Meatloaf With Prosciutto and Swiss
Serving Size: 1 (194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 245.5
- Calories from Fat 145
- Total Fat 16.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 90.8 mg
- Sodium 204.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 17.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
cream of spinach soup mix