Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This concoction was created one day due to a packet of cream of spinach lurking in the cupboard that was purchased by accident! (It happens!! LOL) I had already planned on making a meatloaf, and found "the packet" in the back while getting out the breadcrumbs. After debating on whether or not to just finally pitch it, I decided to try and use it, then one idea led to another...and the rest is history as they say! It REALLY came out good!!! Very moist and flavorful! Very happy to share this "bought by accident" recipe! :)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean hamburger
- 1 (1 7/8 ounce) packet cream of spinach soup mix, SEE NOTE
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄8 cup finely grated parmesan cheese, green can kind
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (7 ounce) packagesliced swiss cheese, 9 slices
- 6 slices prosciutto, can sub thin slices of ham if desired
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- In large bowl, combine first 9 ingredients til well mixed.
- Dump out onto large sheet of foil.
- Press into a 13x19 rectangle.
- Top, within a 1/4-1/2 inch from edges, 6 slices of the swiss cheese. (Overlapping the cheese if needed.).
- Top the swiss cheese layer with the slices of prosciutto. (Overlapping if needed.).
- Starting from short end, roll up the meat. (Lifting the foil at first helps to get it started.).
- Roll all the way up and seal, pinching and smoothing the seam closed nicely.
- Seal each end closed nicely, too, so that you have a nice log.
- Place carefully into a shallow, sprayed, baking dish/pan. (Mine fit really well in my 7x11 baking dish.).
- Reform a bit if needed. (*Just make sure it didn't stretch out, and press with palms at each end pushing back in towards the middle.).
- Sprinkle top/outside with additional pepper. As much or little as you like.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Baste the whole outside with the 1 Tbl. ketchup.
- Bake 5 minutes longer.
- While it's still baking, cut the remaining 3 slices of swiss cheese in half corner to corner.
- When those 5 minutes are up, top the meatloaf with the cheese triangles, overlapping, all across the top nicely.
- Bake 10 minutes longer.
- (Your total baking time is 1 hour.).
- Remove from oven and let rest at least 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- Enjoy! (Made GREAT sandwiches the next day, too!).
- **Had a TON of trouble getting an ingredient to finally go through! It is to be 1 (1.8 oz.) packet Knorr Cream of Spinach Recipe Mix that I used. NOT "soup mix". Zaar glitch I guess. But you'll see on the packet. ;).