Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A VERY delicious and pretty meatloaf!!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean hamburger
- 1⁄2 cup old-fashioned oatmeal, can sub dried bread crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- 4 -6 slices deli ham (thin slices)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 10 slices American cheese, can sub cheddar or 10 slices colby-monterey jack cheese, divided
- In large bowl combine first 7 ingredients til very well mixed.
- Place mixture onto a sheet of foil.
- Press out to a flat, even 8"x10" rectangle.
- Top evenly with 6 slices ham to within 1/2" of edges.
- Top with 6 slices american cheese.
- Sprinkle cheese layer with chopped broccoli evenly. Chop any big pieces smaller.
- Roll up starting from long side, lifting and using the foil to help you roll it all up.
- Roll up tightly.
- Pinch ends and seam closed VERY well. Place seam side down onto cookie sheet, or keep on the foil (seam side down)and place onto cookie sheet, that's what I did. Easier clean up!
- Sprinkle with a little coarse ground pepper.
- Bake in 350º oven for 55 minutes.
- Cut remaining 4 slices cheese in half corner to corner. Place on top of meatloaf nicely, overlapping slices slightly, showing pointed sides.
- Bake 5 minutes longer or til cheese is just melted.
- Let rest 15-20 minutes before slicing.
- Good served with mashed potatoes, baby carrots and fresh rolls.
- *Some hams can turn ground beef slightly pink. It is done in 1 hour. Just check juices to see if they are running clear.
- **"Do-ahead" Tip:This can be rolled up and refrigerated (covered)for up to 24 hours before baking.
I love this recipe. It has become "Meatloaf Monday" at our house. I am a low carb person so I cut the Oatmeal down to 1/4 of a cup. It works just fine. And I don't think I have used American cheese, I generally use a Shredded Monterey and cheddar. I also don't use the milk. It really does stay moist. Sometimes to spice it up I use Pepper Jack. Tasty!
Sorry - this didn't turn out for us. My husband said it was ok for him (he would eat cardboard,) but we ended up ordering out for our company. I thought it sounded delicious, but it fell apart and didn't taste right. I did double the recipe, but followed it aside from that. Reviewed or ZWT4 Flying Duchess'
I thought this meatloaf was fantastic! I used 93% lean beef and it was moist and delicious! I used bread crumbs vs oats and provolone for the cheese. I certainly need practice with my rolling technique though- lol. I lined a 9x13 glass baking pan with foil and you're right, clean up was a breeze. Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT4