1 hr 30 mins
Sassy in da South's Note:
These are not what you think of when you think of dumplings. They look like cinnamon rolls, but they're really pastry wrapped around a shredded apple filling. Be sure not to over-cook. I think these came from Better Homes & Gardens a few years ago.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup unsalted margarine or 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups cooking apples, peeled & shredded (3-4 medium)
- 1For sauce, in a large saucepan, combine 2 cups sugar, the water, margarine, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- 2Bring to boiling and boil for 5 minutes; set aside (should have about 2 cups sauce).
- 3For dough, in a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- 4Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pea-size.
- 5Make well in center.
- 6Add milk all at once.
- 7Stir just until moistened.
- 8Knead dough on a lightly floured surface 10 to 12 strokes or until nearly smooth.
- 9Roll out to 12x10-inch rectangle.
- 10For filling, combine 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; set aside.
- 11Sprinkle apples evenly over dough.
- 12Sprinkle with sugar mixture.
- 13Roll dough into spiral, starting from a long side. Pinch seam to seal.
- 14Cut into twelve 1-inch-thick pieces.
- 15Place in 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- 16Pour sauce over dumplings.
- 17Bake in a 350 degree F. oven about 50 minutes or until golden.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiral Apple Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 393.5
- Calories from Fat 156
- Total Fat 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 1.9 mg
- Sodium 165.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 40.7 g
- Protein 2.7 g