A yummy, easy, creamed spinach. From the book "The fine Art of Italian Cooking" by Giuliano Bugialli. I changed the recipe slightly from the book. I found some of the steps in the book were not necessary.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Make a balsamella by melting the butter in a heavy saucepan on low heat. When the butter reaches the frothing point add the flour. Mix well with a spoon and let cook until the color is a light brown -- don't over cook -- undercooking is preferable -- meanwhile heat the milk in a small pan -- when the milk is warm add a little at a time to the flour mixture -- the origional recipe calls for adding all the milk at once but I find I get less lumps if I add a little at a time whisking continuously -- your goal is a nice creamy sauce. Remove from heat an cover until needed.
- 2Make sure spinach is clean and cut out any tough stems. Chop coarsely.
- 3Place olive oil in a pan and warm on medium heat. Add the garlic and spinach. Toss and cook until wilted and the garlic is lightly browned.
- 4Toss the spinach with the balsamella. Add the cheese, nutmeg salt and pepper to taste.
- 5Butter the bottom and sides of a 13 1/2 X 8 3/4 inch baking dish.
- 6Pour the spinach mixture into the dish and bake in a preheated 375 F oven for about 25 minutes. The top should be a little brown and bubbling.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinaci Alla Fiorentina (Spinach Florentine Style)
Serving Size: 1 (357 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.6
- Calories from Fat 309
- Total Fat 34.4 g
- Saturated Fat 16.0 g
- Cholesterol 67.1 mg
- Sodium 467.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 16.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: