Prep 15 mins
Cook 18 mins
From Vegetarian Times, September 2009
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced (2 cups)
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 3/4 inch pieces (2 cups)
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked white beans, such as cannellini (or 1 15-oz can, rinsed and drained)
- 4 cups Baby Spinach (4 ozs)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped mint leaves
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Saute onion 3 to 5 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add zucchini, and cook 8 minutes more, or until vegetables are well browned.
- Add vegetable broth and water, and bring to a boil.
- Stir in beans and spinach, and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes, or until spinach is wilted.
- Stir in lemon juice, zest, and mint.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired.
I only had black beans on hand so I swapped those in for cannellini beans. It wasn't very interesting on the day I made it, but improved significantly upon reheating the next day.