Recipe by Sharon123
A spinach salad topped with bright red onions and a decidedly different sauce! From Better Homes & Gardens magazine(Dec.2003).
- 2 large red onions, halved and sliced (3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 cup grenadine or 1⁄4 cup boysenberry syrup
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 (5 ounce) packagesfresh Baby Spinach (16 cups)
- salt and black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a nonstick skillet cook the onions in hot butter for 5 to 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the wine, syrup, sugar, and salt.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Boil gently, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated and liquid is syrupy.
- Meanwhile, place the spinach in a very large serving bowl.
- Spoon the onion mixture over spinach; toss to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
- Makes 10 servings.