Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 mins
This favourite of ours is posted by request. It's a lovely summer side dish, as it's served cold.
- 340 g spinach
- 5 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons dashi (I make up instant granules)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Wash spinach thorughly.
- Boil in a potful of water, with stalks at the bottom, and leafy parts at the top, till soft.
- Drain and rinse well.
- Trim off the ends (leaving most of the stalk, but evening the bunch up) and squeeze out the water.
- Cut into 4cm lengths.
- Roast the sesame seeds in a dry skillet over low heat until golden, Reserve a tablespoon for garnish, and half crush the rest with a pestle and mortar.
- Add the soy sauce and dashi and mix well.
- Loosen the spinach.
- Add the dressing, and mix well.
- Place in a small bowl and garnish with the reserved sesame seeds.
- Cabbage, beans or watercress can be substituted to prepare similar dishes.
Great easy refreshing side dish, goes well with BBQ dishes. enjoyed by all even one that is not fond of spinach. I removed the stems, barely wilted the leaves, dashed in cold water. Squeezed the leaves dry and then followed instructions. I was tempted to put in a drop or two of Rice wine or Saki (will try next time) Thanks SueL you are posting some great recipes