Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Very tasty way to use up leftover cooked rice.
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 cup cooked rice (I prefer brown rice)
- 1 (9 ounce) package fresh spinach
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup zesty Italian dressing, calourie wise (or dressing or your choice)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Generously spray a wok or non stick deep frypan with veggie spray. Heat to medium.
- Add cooked rice and grated carrot into wok and mix; add minced garlic; stir fry to heat through, about 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add spinach; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Turn over with a spatula several times to mix the spinach evenly with the rice mixture, heat and turn until the spinach is starting to wilt, about 3 minutes.
- Pour the Italian dressing evenly over and turn several times to mix. Cook about 3 minutes or until the spinach is well wilted and the dressing is heated through.
- Serve immediately.
I followed the recipe, using brown rice, my homemade Italian salad dressing, and packaged pre-grated carrots. Couldn't be simpler! Great results that I enjoyed for dinner with grilled chicken and a tomato salad... with leftovers to take to work the next day. Yummy! Definitely will be on the menu rotation since I'm trying to pack healthier lunches.
I didn't need the salt or pepper -- the italian dressing was quite sufficiently zesty! I used fat-free dressing, lowering the per-serving nutrition to 198 calories and 1 gram of fat. Tasty and filling (okay, I ate both servings -- it's yummy!).