Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
An addictive melange of spinach, garlic, raisins, pine nuts and good olive oil, this is one of the best Catalan dishes. Its uses in the Catalan kitchen are many - in croquettes or egg tortillas, as a topping for cocas (flat breads), as a filling for savory turnovers or cannelloni, or as a base for baked fish. As a side dish, it goes with just about anything, and nothing beats it in the morning on toast, topped with poached eggs. The recipe is also great made with other wilted greens, such as chard or escarole. Adapted from "The New Spanish Table" cookbook.
- Place the raisins in a small bowl, add very hot water to cover, and soak until plump, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well and pat dry with paper towels, then set aside.
- Rinse, but do not drain the spinach. Place the spinach in a large saucepan over medium heat and cover the pan. Cook the spinach in the water that clings to its leaves until just wilted, 4-5 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Transfer the spinach to a colander and squeeze out the excess moisture by pressing on the spinach with the back of a spoon. Chop the spinach coarsely. (The spinach can be prepared a few hours ahead up to this point).
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or wok over low heat. Add the garlic, pine nuts, and soaked raisins and cook until the nuts and garlic are light golden, 3-5 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium, add the chopped spinach and cook for about 1 minute, stirring to combine evenly. Season with salt and pepper to taste, transfer to a serving bowl and serve.
This..this..was exquisite! I would give 10 stars if i could I subbed dried cranberries for raisins, just prefer them, and then i had 1 half of a baked potato left from egg in a spud so i put the spinach filling in that for an amazing spinach garlic and cranberries potato snack. I will be baking potatoes just to use it as a base for this again!
5+ Stars! Fabulous recipe! I love spinach and garlic, and have my own recipe featuring the above plus pine nuts, but the addition of the raisins was over the top! This recipe will be made over and over at my house. I could make a meal of it. I just can't say enough about it...it is a flavor sensation for your tongue! Thank you so much for posting this absolutely marvelous recipe. Made for ZWT5.