1/1 Photo of Spinach With Raisins and Pine Nuts (Espinacs a La Catalana)
An addictive melange of spinach, garlic, raisins, pine nuts and good olive oil, this is one of the best Catalan dishes. Its uses in the Catalan kitchen are many - in croquettes or egg tortillas, as a topping for cocas (flat breads), as a filling for savory turnovers or cannelloni, or as a base for baked fish. As a side dish, it goes with just about anything, and nothing beats it in the morning on toast, topped with poached eggs. The recipe is also great made with other wilted greens, such as chard or escarole. Adapted from "The New Spanish Table" cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the raisins in a small bowl, add very hot water to cover, and soak until plump, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well and pat dry with paper towels, then set aside.
- 2Rinse, but do not drain the spinach. Place the spinach in a large saucepan over medium heat and cover the pan. Cook the spinach in the water that clings to its leaves until just wilted, 4-5 minutes, stirring a few times.
- 3Transfer the spinach to a colander and squeeze out the excess moisture by pressing on the spinach with the back of a spoon. Chop the spinach coarsely. (The spinach can be prepared a few hours ahead up to this point).
- 4Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or wok over low heat. Add the garlic, pine nuts, and soaked raisins and cook until the nuts and garlic are light golden, 3-5 minutes.
- 5Increase the heat to medium, add the chopped spinach and cook for about 1 minute, stirring to combine evenly. Season with salt and pepper to taste, transfer to a serving bowl and serve.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach With Raisins and Pine Nuts (Espinacs a La Catalana)
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 282.7
- Calories from Fat 193
- Total Fat 21.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 137.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 7.1 g