Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
My recipe for creamed spinach in a delicious pesto sauce.
Make and share this Spinach With Pesto Cream Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (16 ounce) containersfresh Baby Spinach (Organics brand)
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated fresh lemon zest (yellow rind only)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (plus 1 pinch, to 3/8 teaspoon)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 dash fresh ground white pepper
- 1⁄2 medium sweet vidalia onion, chopped
- 4 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free cream cheese spread
- 1⁄3 cup fresh deli basil pesto
OPTIONAL FOLD-IN INGREDIENT
- 2 -4 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- PLACE contents of 2 (16 ounce) tubs Organics brand fresh baby spinach in large soup pot over medium heat; POUR 1/2 cup water evenly over spinach; TOSS spinach until evenly dampened.
- COVER pot; COOK spinach just until wilted, between 3-5 minutes, stirring once.
- RETURN spinach into colander in sink; DRAIN completely and let set until ready to use.
- INTO the medium saucepan ADD: 3/4 cup chicken broth, 1 tablespoon butter, 4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon fresh grated lemon zest, 3/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, 1/4 teaspoon sugar, 1 dash fresh ground white pepper; BRING broth to gentle boil over medium heat.
- CHOP 1/2 medium sweet Vidalia onion; MINCE 4 fresh garlic cloves; ADD both to the saucepan with broth mixture; GRATE 1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon zest; SQUEEZE 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice. ADD all to broth mixture; REDUCE heat slightly.
- SIMMER uncovered until onion is almost transparent; REDUCE heat to low.
- STIR in 1/2 cup light cream cheese spread (up to 8 ounces) and 1/3 cup (or more) fresh deli basil pesto into the saucepan mixture, FOLD together gently until cream cheese has melted and the sauce is consistent and creamy (STIR 2 tablespoons heavy cream now if a richer sauce is desired); SEASON sauce to taste now, if necessary.
- REMOVE drained cooled spinach from colander; CHOP spinach coarsely.
- FOLD spinach into sauce mixture until thoroughly blended (FOLD in 2-4 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese now, if desired, one tablespoon at a time, gradually until blended).
- SERVE and ENJOY.