Recipe by Chandra M
This is a wonderful accompaniment to a variety of curry main dishes. It was fairly simple to prepare. It will definitely become a regular at our house. The original recipe called for double the amount of spinach, but I only had 1 lb, and it turned out wonderfully. Other greens with stems removed may be substituted. Adapted from Cooks Illustrated.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 lb fresh Baby Spinach, rinsed (do not dry)
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large sauté pan. Add onion, cook until partially softened, about 1 minute.
- Add next 5 ingredients; cook until onion softens and spices are fragrant, about 2 minutes longer.
- Add wet greens, cover and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until greens completely wilt, but are still bright green, about 5 minutes.
- Uncover, season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook over high heat until liquid evaporates, 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Add cream and brown sugar; cook uncovered, until cream thickens, about 2 minutes longer. Serve.