Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
A healthy recipe from the book 'Magic Spices' by Donna Weihofen that I have slightly tweaked. The dry mustard in the dressing really adds flavor to this dish, can be eaten as a light meal too...
- 8 cups torn spinach
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 red apples (sliced or chopped)
- 2 ounces reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 hard-cooked egg, peeled and crumbled
- fresh ground pepper
- Wash spinach, drain well and combine with onions in a large salad bowl. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add olive oil, vinegar, sugar, and dry mustard. Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and toss with spinach.
- Add apple slices and feta cheese.
- Toss lightly to mix.
- Top with egg.
- Add freshly ground pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Fantastic! The warm sweet dressing goes just perfectly with the sharp feta and tart apples - even 13yo DS enjoyed this (I couldn't believe it!!). I didn't feel like making the hard boiled egg so I left that out, but included everything else. I used apple cider vinegar which was just the right selection for this salad. Will be made again! Made for Pick A Chef Spring 2009.
I LOVED this! The flavors compliment eachother perfectly and the dressing is absolutely delicious! Thanks, I'll be making this again!