Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a beautifully-colored, creamy soup that contains no cream. It may be eaten hot in winter or cold in summer. We loved it cold for a summer supper -- that is until I lost the recipe. Happily I found it again and here it is. Don't know where the recipe came from but I'm awfully glad it's here! (Or does that sound like a country song?)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 medium potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped fine
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 10 ounces fresh spinach, washed and drained
- 3 tablespoons yogurt
- black pepper
- Melt butter in a heavy Dutch oven and add potatoes, onion, and carrot. Saute for a minute, then add 2 quarts water. Bring to a boil, add salt, and cook until vegetables are tender, about half an hour.
- Add spinach and cook a minute or two, until wilted.
- Puree in a blender or food processor or use an immersion blender. The consistency should be mealy, not quite smooth.
- Return to Dutch oven. Thin with water or milk if too thick. Stir in yogurt. Garnish with freshly ground black pepper.