Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I love pide and I haven't made this yet, but I plan to soon! You can use any filling you like too but I have this one with spinach. Another variation is Corn/Pea 1 cup of peas 1 cup of corn 4 scallions (finely chopped) 1 tsp salt Spices
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb spinach (cleaned, washed and chopped)
- 1 medium size onion (finely chopped)
- feta cheese (optional)
- Dissolve the yeast in a large bowl.
- Add wheat flour and one cup of all purpose flour, and stir.
- Cover the mixture and put aside for 10 minutes, up to 3 hours.
- Add oil and salt.
- Slowly add the remaining flour until it is hard to stir.
- Turn the dough over the slightly floured surface, and knead it for 6-8 minutes. The dough should not stick to your hands while you are kneading. If necessary add more flour.
- Cover the dough with a plastic film and put it aside for 1.5-2 hours, until the dough doubles its initial size.
- Prepare the fillings at another bowl. Just put all the ingredients and mix.
- When the dough is ready, turn the dough over the slightly floured surface.
- Slice the dough into 10 slices and make balls. Cover the pieces with a damp cloth.
- Take the first piece and flat the dough into a circle (D=6-9 in.) with using a rolling pin.
- Brush the surface with olive oil.
- Sprinkle 2-3 tbsp stuffing onto the dough. Cover the sides, and shape it as a boat.
- Brush the top with olive oil again.
- Put the pide on preheated skillet and cook the bottom at medium temperature.
- Once the bottom is cooked, transfer the pide to an oven dish and place it to the oven which is set to broil.
- Cook the top until the surface turn to light brown-golden.
I tried this recipe but I used a yeast substitute of baking soda and lemon juice that you can find on about.com.
with this substitute it is very easy to make the recipe in a short time and it is good :D
Both my boyfriend made this up and we both loved it. Taste just like the ones that we buy from the Turkish cafe. i have even emailed it to my family and they loved it too.