Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a really great soup served with garlic bread.
- 1 (14 ounce) canpeeled tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (9 ounce) package tortellini
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 2 -3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1⁄2 white onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 whole sweet red pepper
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
- red pepper flakes
- Take out your frozen spinach and begin to defrost.
- Heat olive oil in your stock pot.
- Add chopped onion and garlic and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- With your hands,crush your can of tomatoes in a separate bowl.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, half red pepper,chicken broth, cheese, and herbs and spices.
- Bring to a boil and cover stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.
- Add defrosted spinach.
- Gently add in tortellini and cook as directed, usually about 7 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
I have used an essentially identical version of this soup for years.My Mom got it from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette. Family loves it, and it is super simple. So many people have asked for the recipe over the years. One easy modification: I use diced tomatoes instead of whole;therefore no crushing step needed.