Recipe by Jac
I adopted this from the recipezaar account in early 2005. Have not had a chance to make it yet but will be making it soon and will be 'tweeking' the ingredients and directions if necessary.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb spinach leaves, washed and coarsely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 18 sheets phyllo dough, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs (unseasoned)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 400°F.
- Heat oil in skillet large enough to hold spinach.
- Saute garlic and onion in skillet over medium heat until golden.
- Add spinach to pan and stir over medium heat until spinach is reduced and cooked.
- Drain in colander.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs until frothy.
- Add to spinach mixture. crush dill between fingers and add to spinach and egg mixture. Cool.
- In a small saucepan,melt butter.
- Prepare Phyllo as per directions on box (defrost 8 hours at room temperature before use). Separate three sheets of Phyllo dough and place on counter.Using a pastry brush,sparingly coat top layer with butter.
- Sprinkle with a tablespoon of breadcrumbs.Separate three more sheets of Phyllo on top of the first layer.
- Again, lightly brush with melted butter.Sprinkle with bread crumbs.Continue six times, or until you have counted a total of 18 layers of Phyllo.
- Evenly spread out spinach mixture onto the top.
- Starting with the long end, roll up as a jelly roll, keeping it as tight as you can.
- Place on buttered baking sheet seam side down.
- Bake immediately in oven 25 minutes.
- To serve, slice in one inch interval diagonally.