Recipe by Momma Anderson
This is one of our favorite recipes for company. It's not hard to make, and it is very tasty.
Top Review by Soobeeoz
This is a very nicely flavoured dish with attractive presentation. I made a few changes to use what I had on hand including using 450 grams of spaghetti rigate in place of the penne, 1 cup of light cooking cream in place of the half-and-half, 300 grams of baby spinach leaves, three plum tomatoes and I added a teaspoon of hot chilli flakes along with some sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper. I added the herbs & chilli, spinach then chopped tomatoes to the cooked garlic and onion mixture, heating it until the spinach wilted and the tomatoes softened, tipped this onto the drained pasta, then incorporated the cream/cheese sauce.
- 16 ounces penne rigate
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes seasoned with basil garlic & oregano
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Make pasta, drain, set aside.
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in large saucepan.
- Add flour gradually stirring until smooth.
- Slowly add half& half and milk and simmer until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Add cheese and Italian seasoning, stirring until cheese is melted.
- Add tomatoes, spinach, and onion mixture and heat through.
- Pour sauce over warm pasta and serve.