This is an impressive looking quiche that's easy to personalise to your own tastes. You may like to try red peppers instead of the tomato, add a few mushrooms, maybe some asparagus...you get the idea! I served this with a nice salad, a vegetable side dish and a cheese plate for a nice summer meal.
- 1 package frozen shortcrust pastry dough
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach leaves, trimmed and washed thoroughly
- 4 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup creme fraiche (you can also use heavy cream or milk)
- 1⁄3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- Two hours before you want to make the quiche, take the dough out of the freezer to defrost.
- When you're ready to start, lay the dough into either a 10 inch quiche or springform baking pan, making sure you have enough dough to form a crust around the edge.
- The crust should come 1 to 1 1/2 inches up the side of the pan.
- Crumble the feta cheese onto the bottom of the crust.
- Pour the olive oil into a saucepan and, when it is heated, throw in the spinach and cook until wilted.
- Spread the spinach over the feta cheese.
- Beat the eggs, garlic and creme fraiche together.
- Pour over top of the feta cheese and spinach.
- Place cherry tomatoes on top of the quiche.
- Sprinkle chives and ground pepper on top.
- Bake at 350 F or 180 C for 45 minutes.