Recipe by crazymom
you can use a jar of sauce or make you own for the manacotti
Top Review by Emilie White
This dish was easy to make and it was very tasty. My husband and brother didn't like the sound of this dish when I mentioned it a week ago, but they both went back for seconds last night. (I left out that I made it with the tofu until they were finishing their second helping.) I followed the recipe pretty closely, but I added some garlic powder to the stuffing.
- 1 lb fresh spinach, stems trimmed and well washed or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed
- kosher salt, plus 1/2 teaspoon
- 12 manicotti
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- 1 lb firm tofu, drain and crumble to resemble ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (or a mixture of half Pecorino and Parmesan)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat, and season generously with salt.
- Fill a medium bowl with ice water and season with salt, as well.
- Boil the spinach, uncovered, until tender, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon, (do not drain), and immediately plunge the spinach into the ice water.
- Drain and squeeze the excess water from the spinach, and finely chop.
- Alternatively, if using thawed spinach, simply squeeze, and finely chop.
- In the same large pot of boiling water, cook the pasta shells until al dente, tender but still slightly firm.
- Drain and pat dry.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cover the bottom of a 9- x 13-inch ovenproof baking dish with 1 cup of the marinara sauce.
- In a medium mixing bowl, evenly combine the tofu, mozzarella, and 1/3 cup of the Parmesan, the eggs, and the spinach.
- Season with the 1/2 teaspoon salt, nutmeg, and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the cheese mixture into the manicotti shell and line them up in the baking dish.
- Cover with the remaining sauce.
- Scatter the remaining cheese on top and dot with the butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately.