Recipe by Diane Jodouin
From the Essential Canadian Christmas Cookbook, Lovoni Walker. But most of the recipes in this book are great year-round! Tip: The toffee pecans can be made a week ahead and stored in a sealed container. The Maple Vinaigrette can be made 3 days ahead and stored in the refrigerator.
Top Review by Delicious as it Looks
This was very good. I love all of the ingredients (especially goat cheese), so I knew I would enjoy this salad. The dressing was a bit bland for me. I cut it in half (plenty for this amount of salad), but kept the amount of vinegar the same (in other words, I doubled the vinegar). I like my dressings zippy. I had a difficult time with the pecans too. The sugar mixture never browned, perhaps because I used a non-stick pan? Next time I will use another method, where you cook the pecans with just sugar in a skillet until the sugar melts and sticks to the pecans. That method works better for me. Thanks for sharing, I will make this again!
- 2⁄3 cup pecans, toasted (70 g)
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 9 ounces baby spinach leaves (225g)
- 4 ounces goat cheese, coarsely crumbled (125g)
- 1⁄3 cup dried cranberries (60 g)
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350°F
- Place pecans, touching each other, on prepared baking sheet. Toast in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Set pan aside, leaving pecans on pan.
- Meanwhile, stir sugar and water in small saucepan over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Boil gently, without stirring, for about 5 minutes or until mixture is a deep golden color. Drizzle syrup mixture over pecans. Let stand for about 20 minutes or until cooled completely and brittle; coarsely chop.
- Maple Vinaigrette: Shake olive oil, red wine vinegar, maple syrup, mustard and salt in a jar until well combined.
- Toss toffee pecan, spinach, cheese and cranberries in large serving bowl. Drizzle with Maple Vinaigrette and toss.