Recipe by CoolMonday
Another adopted recipe.... While I made this, I made a few changes. Also the directions had a couple of flaws, so I fixed those. The final outcome was gorgeous and delicious. Definitely glad I chose this one. I did use 10 oz of frozen chopped spinach which I wrung dry in cheesecloth, but I think the fresh would be better. Can use pre-made pie crust.
Top Review by Zurie
As the stars above say: we liked it, we liked it!! It would have rated more stars, but it wasn't much different from many other spinach pies. Positive criticism: we (husband and I) thought I needed to use more spinach, and it needed a "lift", like maybe a dash of some hot pepper thingy, and I think some nutmeg. Adding raisins were new to me, but quite a revelation, that, like anchovies in some dishes, it added to the taste while not really being identifiable! This is a GOOD recipe, and just need some more inspiration to spark it up a few stars! Thanks, it was really enjoyable. Basically, nothing negative can be said about the recipe.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (extra for rolling out)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold unsalted butter (4oz.)
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 tablespoons milk, add more if too dry
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 10 ounces spinach, blanched 1 minute, drained, dried and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin, soak 30 minutes in water, drain
- 3 whole eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons pine nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour flour into a bowl, add salt and the butter.
- Using fingertips, work the butter into flour until a crumbly dough forms.
- Add the egg yoke and milk, incorporate, and knead dough into a ball.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using 1 tbs butter, grease a 9 inch tart pan with a removable bottom and then dust with flour.
- Using a lightly floured board, roll out the dough into a round shape, making it 1 inch larger than the diameter of the pan.
- Line the prepared pan with the pastry dough and trim.
- In a bowl, combine the blanched, chopped spinach, raisins, whole eggs, cream and Parmesan cheese.
- Mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into the pastry-lined tart pan and top with the pine nuts.
- Bake in oven until it is golden, about 40 minutes.
- Remove, let cool slightly and then transfer to a serving dish.
- Serve this spinach recipe luke warm or cool.