Recipe by Sandra Hyde
How to get people to eat spinach. This is a little sweet and not like normal vegetables. Can be eaten hot or cold. Very yummy.
- 2 lbs english spinach
- 3 tablespoons rose water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pinch powdered ginger
- 4 ounces butter
- 6 egg yolks or 4 whole large eggs
- 3 ounces currants
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and chop small the spinach.
- (Do not dry it).
- Cook it gently in a large pan using only the water that clung to the spinach leaves while washing.
- When cooked, drain it well by pressing and squeezing out the juice in a colander.
- Return the spinach to the pan and dry it out over a low heat.
- When most of the moisture is gone, add the butter and stir until it is all absorbed.
- Beat the eggs in a basin and add them to the spinach along with all other ingredients.
- Stir well.
- Taste and adjust all seasonings to your taste.
- Tip the mixture into a tart tin lined with either puff or shortcrust pastry.
- Bake for 10 minutes in a hot oven (Mark 6, 200C or 400F).
- Then turn the oven down (Mark 5, 190C or 375C).
- Cook for a further 20- 30 minutes until the middle is well risen and browned.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Note- Do not overcook the spinach in the pot.
- It needs only 30 minutes maximum in steps 1- 4.
- When filling the tart tin, fill to just below the top of the pastry sides.
- It will rise a little.