Recipe by annette.tas
Husband won't eat Seaweed? Can't find nori anywhere? Want a quick snack or finger food? Spinach Sushi Rolls are very verstile! Use any veg. you like. Prep time includes refrigeration (for easy cutting). Adapted from a recipe book, 'Cocktails & Finger Food: A Survival Guide to Easy Entertaining'
- 1 cup short-grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 spinach leaves
- 4 teaspoons wasabi
- 250 g prawns, cooked or 250 g crabmeat or 250 g canned tuna or 125 g smoked salmon
- 250 g cucumbers or 250 g avocados or 250 g carrots, thinly sliced
- soy sauce, for dipping
Directions See How It's Made
- Preparation: Wash rice and drain well. Add rice and water to pan, bring to the boil, reduce heat & simmer, uncovered, until the water is absorbed. Turn heat off and cover rice firmly with kitchen foil, for 4 - 5 minutes Leave to cool, then stir in the combined rice vinegar, sugar and salt. Place spinach leaves in a bowl, and pour over boiling water. Let stand for 30 seconds then strain.
- Layer half the spinach leaves on a tea-towel. Overlap to form a base 20 x 30cm.
- Place half the rice on top of the spinach, moisten hands or flat knife with a little vinegar and spread rice to cover spinach, leaving 1" uncovered at the top.
- Spread a thin line of wasabi along the rice, 1" from the bottom. Top with your choice of meat & 2 vegetables.
- Roll up firmly from the bottom, using the tea-towel or damp hands (like a Swiss/Jam Roll).
- Repeat above steps with remaining ingredients.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Remove from fridge/tea-towel. Cut into 1" sections with a sharp knife.
- Serve with soy sauce for dipping, and extra wasabi for those who like it HOT.