Recipe by Stella8037
I got this recipe from a friend and modified it to fit my tastes. This is very low-cal and low-fat, especially if you use the non-fat yogurt. (But you could certainly use regular sour cream if you prefer the flavor) There are many varieties of Sazon seasoning available from Goya - I use the "sin Achiote", but I'm sure any of them would work well. It's available in most supermarkets in the International section. I eat two tomatoes as a main serving, or one as a side dish.
- 4 medium-large tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen spinach
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup cooked chicken, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup plain fat-free yogurt (I use Fage 0% greek yogurt) or 1⁄2 cup sour cream (I use Fage 0% greek yogurt)
- 1 (5 g) packet Sazon Goya seasoning
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut tops off tomatoes, hollow out with a spoon.
- Sprinkle the interior of the tomato shells with kosher salt, turn over onto paper towels. Let sit 15 minutes. (This is to draw out the water in the tomatoes so they’re not soggy.).
- In the meantime, cook spinach until heated through (I microwave mine), and drain excess liquid. Saute onion and garlic until soft.
- In a large bowl mix together the spinach, onion, garlic, chicken, breadcrumbs, parmesan, yogurt, Sazon, salt, and pepper.
- I like my tomatoes salty, so I just fill them with the mixture at this point. If you prefer less salt, rinse the salt out of the tomato shells and lightly pat dry before filling. Sprinkle tops with a little more breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Arrange in a non-stick baking pan and bake for 15 minutes. Broil for 2 more minutes to crisp up the breadcrumbs.