Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another recipe from the April 1980 issue of Bon Apetit, featuring a Greek Easter dinner prepared by Theonie Diakidis Mark.Summer vine-ripened tomatoes are a must for this side dish and fresh dill is better than the dried.
- 6 ripe tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 5 green onions, coarsely chopped
- 10 ounces fresh spinach, coarsely chopped or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1⁄4 cup fresh dill, chopped (or 1 T. dried dill)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Slice 1/2 inch from top of each tomatoe; remove stem end and coarsely chop rest of top; set aside.
- Scoop out pulp and seeds; chop pulp and reserve.
- Lightly salt tomato cavities and let drain, upside down, on paper towels.
- Heat oil in large skillet.
- Add onion and saute until tender.
- Add tomato pulp and tops, spinach,parsley,dill, and pepper.
- Cook uncovered over high heat until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in all but 2 tablespoons of cheese;set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly oil large baking dish.
- Divide stuffing evenly among tomato shells; sprinkle with remaining feta.
- Place in dish and bake until tomatoes are cooked through, but not splitting, about 20 minutes.