Recipe by katie in the UP
I found this recipe in Paula Deen's new (2009) Daily Calendar book!
Top Review by Misa
Thanks for posting, Katie! Paula did this a few weeks ago on her show using zucchini, and that's what I used. I used 2 large zucchini and had a bit of filling left over, so perhaps 3 medium to large zucchinis could be used in place of the squash, as well. Reviewers on Food Network's site said the leftover filling was good with Triscuits, but I made do with a spoon. :)
- 6 large yellow squash, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, chopped, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup chicken flavor stuffing mix
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Brush cut side of squash with olive oil; sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt and the pepper.
- Place squash, cut side down, on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes or until tender.
- Scoop out pulp, keeping shells intact; reserve pulp.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over med heat.
- Add onion; cook 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in spinach and squash pulp; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat; stir in stuffing mix, cheese, sour cream and remaining salt.
- Spoon mixture evenly into squash shells.
- Place on the baking sheet, bake 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve immediately.