Recipe by Rita~
Watch these disappear! The shells are cooked al dente stuffed with creamy cheese and tender baby spinach topped with a tomato mushroom sauce then cooked in the oven where they plump up. And have you wanting more.
Top Review by Wish I Could Cook
This was delicious! The sauce was fabulous and really made the dish special. I followed the recipe as directed, but used some of the red wine I was going to serve for dinner in the sauce in place of the white.
- 1 (12 ounce) package jumbo pasta shells, cooked al dente
- 5 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces of pre washed Baby Spinach
- 1⁄3 cup white wine
- 1⁄8 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups crushed tomatoes or 4 cups your favorite tomato sauce
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated pecorino romano cheese, plus extra for garnish
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 nutmeg, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9x13 inch pan with nonstick spray.
- Soak mushrooms in hot water.
- In a large saute pan, pour oil saute onions and garlic 1 minute add spinach cook till wilted.
- Remove spinach from pan leaving some garlic and onions in pan.
- Chop the soaked mushrooms (stems discarded) and add to pan with the remaining onions and garlic.
- Add the mushroom soaking water(strained from any grit), white wine and herbs.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook till liquid is all absorbed.
- Add crushed tomatoes.
- Simmer while preparing shells.
- Squeeze liquid from cooled spinach and place juice into sauce and spinach into a bowl with cheeses, egg, nutmeg.
- Mix to blend.
- Adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon evenly into shells and place into pan.
- Pour sauce over shells.
- Reserving some sauce for serving at the table.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with grated cheese.