1/9 Photos of Spinach Stuffed Shells With a Mushroom Sauce
1 hr 20 mins
Watch these disappear! The shells are cooked al dente stuffed with creamy cheese and tender baby spinach topped with a tomato mushroom sauce then cooked in the oven where they plump up. And have you wanting more.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (12 ounce) package jumbo pasta shells, cooked al dente
- 5 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces of pre washed Baby Spinach
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups crushed tomatoes or 4 cups your favorite tomato sauce
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino romano cheese, plus extra for garnish
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 nutmeg, grated
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Spray a 9x13 inch pan with nonstick spray.
- 3Soak mushrooms in hot water.
- 4In a large saute pan, pour oil saute onions and garlic 1 minute add spinach cook till wilted.
- 5Remove spinach from pan leaving some garlic and onions in pan.
- 6Chop the soaked mushrooms (stems discarded) and add to pan with the remaining onions and garlic.
- 7Add the mushroom soaking water(strained from any grit), white wine and herbs.
- 8Season with salt and pepper.
- 9Cook till liquid is all absorbed.
- 10Add crushed tomatoes.
- 11Simmer while preparing shells.
- 12Squeeze liquid from cooled spinach and place juice into sauce and spinach into a bowl with cheeses, egg, nutmeg.
- 13Mix to blend.
- 14Adding salt and pepper to taste.
- 15Spoon evenly into shells and place into pan.
- 16Pour sauce over shells.
- 17Reserving some sauce for serving at the table.
- 18Bake covered for 30 minutes.
- 19Garnish with grated cheese.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach Stuffed Shells With a Mushroom Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (821 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1438.5
- Calories from Fat 511
- Total Fat 56.7 g
- Saturated Fat 30.0 g
- Cholesterol 262.7 mg
- Sodium 678.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 155.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 70.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pecorino romano cheese