Recipe by Salt Lake Meal Swapping
Katys recipe.. a little more prepwork after thawed... But well worth the work.
Top Review by Chef*Lee
This is good!! I was happy to see that when I bought my jumbo shells that this is pretty much the same recipe that Barilla has on the back of its box for jumbo stuffed shells. The Barilla recipe adds 1/3 cup pasta water instead of the 1/2 here and it says to bake 1 cup mozzarella cheese on top of the shells--those were the only differences--both great recipes. I used a combo of parmigiano reggiano, gruyere, and asiago cheese because I had those in my fridge but not enough of one so it was a great blend!!! I used Mezzetta Napa Valley Bistro Tomato Basil sauce and that tasted great. I love the nutmeg in the mix and the salt is just right. I accidentally forgot to chop my spinach but it didn't need to be chopped, I liked the homemade look that not chopping it gave the dish. Also, I must have been really hungry because I forgot the foil and it still turned out perfect!!! The only thing that I didn't like was that a lot of the shells went to waste. Both this and the Barilla box say to boil the entire 12 oz box of shells, which is way too many. I ended up using about 20 shells for the filling and I had about 20 more shells left in the pot!! So next time, I will only boil half the box, 20 - 25 shells. Barilla also added a tip that you could also use Italian sausage instead of ground beef so I might do that next time for even more flavor!!! This looked spectacular and was easy to make, my favorite type of recipe!!! Thanks for posting!!
- 340.19 g large shell noodles
- 453.59 g ground beef
- 9.85 ml olive oil
- 170.09 g fresh or frozen Baby Spinach, chopped (about one bag)
- 236.59 ml finely chopped onion (I use about 1/2c)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml ground black pepper
- 0.59 ml ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 59.14 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 737.08 g jar spaghetti sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven 350.
- cook jumbo shells according to pkg direction: drain, reserve 1/2 c pasta water.
- cook ground beef.
- stir in oil, spinach, onion, garlic.
- add some of the pasta water until blended well.
- let mixture cool.
- stir in egg and parmesan cheese.
- Freeze stuffing if making it for a freezer recipe.
- Serving Directions: pour 1 c tomato basil sauce into 13x9 baking dish.
- fill jumbo shells with meat mixture; place in dish.
- pour remaining sauce over shells.
- cover with foil.
- bake 30 min or until thoroughly heated.