Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Little cucumber "cups" filled with spinach mixture and served chilled. Taken from a local community cookbook "Pass the Plate" from Christ Episcopal Church (New Bern, North Carolina). Cooking time is refrigeration time.
- 6 cucumbers (about 3 inches long each)
- 1⁄2 cup spinach, finely chopped (or use frozen, thawed and squeezed dry)
- 3 green onions, minced
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise (or less)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- pepper (freshly ground)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk (hard boiled and mashed)
- Peel and cut cucumber into 3/4 to 1 inch thick pieces and scoop out the seeds from one end of each cucumber piece, leaving the other end closed to form a small case or cup.
- Chill and dry the cucumber cases on paper towels, uncovered, in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Combine the remaining ingredients and fill the cucumber cases with the mixture.
- The cases can be filled an hour or two before serving.
These were a big hit! I used too much lemon juice on the "test run" and used about half the amount the second time through. These were great!