Recipe by Barb Witherspoon
Chicken stuffed with spinach and melting cheese. From Midwest Living magazine, a featured recipe from the Grand View Lodge in Nisswa, Minnesota. Serve with Sauteed Spinach Cream Sauce
Top Review by karen in tbay
I thought I was thawing out spinach but it turned out to be swiss chard which turned out ok. I didn't make the sauce so used all the chard on the chicken. I didn't have the monterey so used jalapeno gouda and mozzarella cheese. Easy with great presentation when sliced.
- 6 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 6 slices prosciutto ham (thin slices)
- 2 -3 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, cut into 2 x 1/2 inch sticks
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Place each chicken breast, boned side up, between 2 pieces of plastic wrap.
- Working from the center to the edges, pound lightly with the flat side of a meat mallet to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Remove plastic wrap, and sprinkle chicken with black pepper to taste.
- Squeeze spinach until well-drained and almost dry.
- In a small bowl, combine half of the spinach with the egg. (Save the rest of the spinach for the Sauteed Spinach Cream Sauce).
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the spinach mixture onto each chicken piece, spreading evenly over the chicken.
- Top with a piece of prosciutto.
- Place a stick of cheese near the edge of the chicken breast.
- Fold in sides and roll up, starting from edge with the cheese.
- Place rolls, seam side down, into a 13x9x2 inch baking dish.
- Drizzle with butter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until chicken in no longer pink. (170 degrees).
- Prepare Sauteed Spinach Cream Sauce while chicken is baking.
- Spoon sauce over chicken breasts when serving.