Recipe by barbaja w.
FLAVORFUL! reduced calorie and salt because parmesan cheese is so flavorful that you use less of it than other cheeses low fat for the same reason. olive oil is full of the special healthy type of fat and has antioxidants and vitamins. also good with rice instead of garlic bread.
Top Review by Chana Albury
If you love spinach this recipe is for you. It was easy and really good. I wasnt crazy about the cream of mushroom sauce though. Next time I will try an alfredo or no sauce at all. It was really quick to make too. Definately not an hour.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, frozen do not thaw until you read recipe through please
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thaw and squeeze until moist but not drippy
- 2 -3 tablespoons mayonnaise, may be diet if you choose
- 2 -3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, to taste (no salt and no pepper)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder, maybe more (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, reconstituted using only 1/2 can of water may buy low fat if you want to or 1 (10 -13 ounce) can alfredo sauce, ready made
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the spinach, parmesan cheese, mayo, garlic powder.
- Set aside in refrigerator.
- Then partially thaw the chicken breast. There are two ways to thaw it, but only partially.
- Method "A" is to use microwave on 30 percent power until it oddly thawed and still 1/2 frozen--need some ice crystals in them.
- Method "B" is to plunge into cold ice cubes in the water until partly thawed, but with some ice crystals still present. You chose your method. because many ice crystals are present this is safe altho usually not ok to use water to thaw.
- When they are ready, then grasp chicken in a dry paper towel and cut a pocket with a sharp knife in each chicken breast. Stuff with the spinach mixture.
- Wash hands,surfaces and knife very often when dealing with chicken please! i put this n because if a new cook you wont know about it.
- Now, having cleaned up, you are ready to brown the chicken on both sides 1 or two minutes per side in hot olive oil in a fry pan (I use black cast iron because I have good luck with it).
- Sprinkle with the oregano.
- You now have one of three methods to continue.
- Method "A" - Lower the heat and simmer with a lid on until the liquid from the chicken is clear and any meat you test is firm and white not pink.
- Method "B" - You can transfer to a clean microwave-safe pan and heat on 50 percent power until as described above only a few minutes. Test as you go along and rotate if your microwave needs manual rotation.
- Method "C" - You put into a 350°F oven 20 or 30 minutes.
- Pour the warm reconstituted cream of mushroom soup or alfredo sauce on top.
- Do not put alfredo sauce in the microwave to warm as it curdles up (use stovetop method to warm).
- serve with garlic bread and red grape juice or red wine.