- 2 large acorn squash
- 1 cup cooked finely-chopped spinach
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup fine breadcrumbs or 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- salt or salt substitute
- freshly-cracked pepper
- 1 dash nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Halve squash at width, remove top stem, and discard seeds.
- Set aside.
- In a skillet saute onions in oil until clear.
- Combine with all other stuffing ingredients and seasonings.
- Fill squash shells with mixture.
- Set halves into deep oven-proof dish, add 2 to 3 inches of water, cover with foil, and bake 40 minutes at 375 degrees or until soft.