Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
- 2 large acorn squash
- 1 cup cooked finely-chopped spinach
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup fine breadcrumbs or 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- salt or salt substitute
- freshly-cracked pepper
- 1 dash nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Halve squash at width, remove top stem, and discard seeds.
- Set aside.
- In a skillet saute onions in oil until clear.
- Combine with all other stuffing ingredients and seasonings.
- Fill squash shells with mixture.
- Set halves into deep oven-proof dish, add 2 to 3 inches of water, cover with foil, and bake 40 minutes at 375 degrees or until soft.
I love squash and spinach, and these are things I always have on hand! Easy and tastes great!!
Deelicious. The family really enjoyed it. I used frozen spinach and it was nice and quick to make. I added a little cayenne for some spice. Thanks!
Made this for Thanksgiving. Used shallots instead of yellow onion. This went over very well. With so much food at TG, quarted each half to get eight servings out of one squash. Will definately make again, super simple.