Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 mins
An absolutely delightful and tasty salad, especially when fresh baby spinach and strawberries are available. This recipe was given to me by a famous Chef in Palm Springs, CA. This is a must to make.
- 1892.72 ml fresh Baby Spinach, about 8 ounces
- 473.18 ml sliced fresh strawberries, about 8 ounces
- 118.29 ml slivered almonds
- 59.14 ml granulated sugar
- 14.79 ml water
- 24.64 ml balsamic vinegar (12 year old is best)
- 9.85 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 9.85 ml liquid honey
- 7.39 ml poppy seeds
- 14.78 ml finely chopped fresh chives
- 44.37 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 4.92 ml Dijon mustard
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- SALAD: Break off root ends and tough stems (if any) and discard.
- Place spinach in a large bowl, add ice and cover with water; set aside to chill.
- SUGARED ALMONDS: In a small saucepan, combine almonds, sugar and water.
- Cook over medium-low heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until sugar is almost completely melted and nuts are golden, stirring occasionally- (there will be unmelted sugar on nuts).
- Spread almonds on a large plate; let cool and then break into small pieces.
- (Make ahead, as nuts can be stored in an air-tight container for about 3 days).
- DRESSING: In a small bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, honey, poppy seeds and chives.
- Drizzle in olive oil and whisk until blended.
- Now whisk in Dijon mustard until well blended.
- Whisk in salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove spinach leaves from water, pat dry on paper towelling and break into pieces.
- Add to a large mixing bowl.
- Add sliced strawberries and toss lightly to mix.
- Add dressing and toss gently until spinach and berries are lightly coated.
- Add almonds, toss lightly and serve.
- TIP: Packaged ready-to-use baby spinach can be found in the produce section of most supermarkets.
- There are 8 cups of baby spinach in (one- 6 ounce) package.
- NOTE: Only make enough salad that will be eaten at this one time serving. The salad will get somewhat soggy if kept for another day.
Incredible recipe! The only thing I did was leave out the poppy seeds.. but that's because this was part of a romantic dinner and I didn't want to look at poppyseeds stuck in his teeth! Highly recommended for anyone!
This is really a marvelous salad. It's one of my daughter's favorites! I very thinly sliced red onions which I think gave it a sweet and sour flavor. Love the nuts method of toasting it in the pan with sugar. It's a Keeper! Thank you Uncle Bill
This was a huge hit! Everyone loved it and it was super easy. I left out the poppy seeds and offered feta cheese on the side. I will definitely be making this again!