An absolutely delightful and tasty salad, especially when fresh baby spinach and strawberries are available. This recipe was given to me by a famous Chef in Palm Springs, CA. This is a must to make.
- 8 cups fresh Baby Spinach, about 8 ounces
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries, about 8 ounces
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 5 teaspoons balsamic vinegar (12 year old is best)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons liquid honey
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 3 teaspoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- SALAD: Break off root ends and tough stems (if any) and discard.
- Place spinach in a large bowl, add ice and cover with water; set aside to chill.
- SUGARED ALMONDS: In a small saucepan, combine almonds, sugar and water.
- Cook over medium-low heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until sugar is almost completely melted and nuts are golden, stirring occasionally- (there will be unmelted sugar on nuts).
- Spread almonds on a large plate; let cool and then break into small pieces.
- (Make ahead, as nuts can be stored in an air-tight container for about 3 days).
- DRESSING: In a small bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, honey, poppy seeds and chives.
- Drizzle in olive oil and whisk until blended.
- Now whisk in Dijon mustard until well blended.
- Whisk in salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove spinach leaves from water, pat dry on paper towelling and break into pieces.
- Add to a large mixing bowl.
- Add sliced strawberries and toss lightly to mix.
- Add dressing and toss gently until spinach and berries are lightly coated.
- Add almonds, toss lightly and serve.
- TIP: Packaged ready-to-use baby spinach can be found in the produce section of most supermarkets.
- There are 8 cups of baby spinach in (one- 6 ounce) package.
- NOTE: Only make enough salad that will be eaten at this one time serving. The salad will get somewhat soggy if kept for another day.