Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
My family (elderly parents included) were too busy eating and "mmmm-ing" and "oooo-ing" to initially comment. When they finally finished, each of them declared that this was the best salad they had ever eaten. Truly a texture delight, it is also a perfect blend of sweet, sour, crunchy, smooth and all around delicious. The dressing is sweet, so you don't want to "over dress" your salad. You may change this salad by exchanging mandarin oranges, blueberries, craisins, or other fruit of choice for the strawberries, Although I prefer almonds or pecans, you can use walnuts or sunflower seeds. And substituting good goat cheese for the bleu cheese is also another variation. No substitution has ever been bad in my estimation.
- 1 lb fresh spinach, rinsed and dried well
- 1 quart strawberry, cleaned, hulled and sliced
- 1⁄3 cup slivered almonds or 1⁄3 cup pecans, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon shallot, very finely minced
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- In small bowl mix together olive oil, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, shallot and sugar.
- Whisk in teaspoon of Dijon mustard until dressing is smooth. Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes before using.
- In large bowl, combine spinach, strawberries, nuts, and cheese.
- If you are sure you will be using all of the spinach salad, dress salad lightly immediately before serving. If you will have some salad left over (which rarely happens in my family) allow each individual to dress their own salad. It is a sweet dressing so a little goes a long way.